A-1/A-2 Visas For Diplomats & Foreign Government Officials
Diplomats and Foreign Government Officials can apply for either the A-1 or A-2 visa, nonimmigrant visas that enable foreign officers of permanent diplomatic missions or consular posts to be admitted to the US to engage in official, governmental activities. There are a number of steps to obtain the visa that vary according to the US Embassy or Consulate where you apply.
Additional documents to have prepared: Passport, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, photo, and a diplomatic note with confirmation from your country of your status and purpose of your travels.
In order to be eligible for either the A-1 or A-2 diplomatic visa, you must adhere to one of the following:
- Be an immediate family member of an A-1 diplomatic visa holder
- Be a representative of a foreign state that has formal diplomatic ties with the U.S.
- Officers of diplomatic missions (e.g., ambassadors, public ministers, career diplomats, or consular officers).
- Traveling to the US on behalf of your national government to participate in official, governmental duties or services.
Diplomats and Foreign Government Officials Who Require A-1 Visas
- Head of State or Government, regardless of the purpose of travel.
- Official coming to serve at a foreign embassy or consulate in the US (e.g., Ambassador or Consul).
- Government minister or cabinet member coming for official activities.
- European Union (EU) and African Union (AU) delegation representatives.
- Immediate family members of an A-1 visa holder.
Officials and Employees Who Require A-2 Visas
- A full-time employee assigned by that government, coming only to work at a foreign embassy or consulate in the US to perform duties which take place at an embassy.
- Government official representing your government, coming to the US based on a written request of your country to perform official, government-related duties.
- Foreign military members stationed at a U.S. military base or assigned to a foreign embassy or consulate in the US.
- Staff of European (EU) and African Union (AU) delegation representatives.
- Immediate family members of an A-2 visa holder.